Included in Rent
Case Management – Case management is a coordination of services with local clinical addiction treatment/therapists, doctors and specialists, volunteer opportunities, resume building/job search skills/interview skills, “Financial Peace University” budgeting and career/school development track. All services provided weekly to each resident at Surfside Structured Sober Living.
- Each graduate of Surfside Structured Sober Living will leave with a complete cover letter, resume and reference list, as well as a clear understanding of job search skills and practical interview experience.
- Recovery Support staff will arrange volunteer opportunities within the community; these opportunities will enhance the resident’s resume while building self esteem.
- We will help families and residents arrange any services needed in the community, such as doctors, specialists or continued addiction treatment services. We will provide transportation to these services if necessary.
- All residents will work through practical budgeting exercises and have the opportunity to learn some of Dave Ramsey’s time tested financial secretes. Graduates will have a prepared budget upon completion of the program.
- If residents desire to go back to school, residents will utilize our personal knowledge base for assistance with applications, admission essays and career choices.
- Monthly rent covers 3 meals a day and healthy snacks.
Weekly Family support/groups
- All families will have weekly check-in via phone with staff. Families will be strongly encouraged to attend monthly family group.
- Surfside Structured Sober Living provides each resident with: toilet paper, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, new bed linens and pillows, laundry detergent, a longboard and bicycle for exercise/local transport, stand up paddle boards, surfboards, camping equipment, snowshoe equipment, all cooking/kitchen supplies, Netflix and Hulu, high speed internet, fishing equipment, morning coffee and more. Time on the internet/using TV is limited because living life is more important than virtual reality.
Grocery shopping classes
- Residents will not survive eating frozen pizza, Ramen noodles and Tasty Kakes. Surfside residents will learn how to grocery shop appropriately by looking for sales and buying healthy food/fresh produce based off the weekly recipes, reading labels and working through a budget. Residents will have the opportunity to participate in these classes 3-7x a week.
- Learning to cook is a critical part of our program. All residents will participate in our in-house cooking classes 3-7 days a week, depending which phase of the program the resident is in. Residents will learn to pick meals from cookbooks and follow instructions. They will learn to cook with the help of others and upon completion of the program will be able to cook a two course meal for up to 12 people.
- Transportation will be provided for all residents during activities just like any family. When residents have appointments, we will ensure the residents have an appropriate means of transportation to reach said services. Many local specialists, including addiction therapists, psychiatrists and intensive outpatient services are within walking distance.
- Surfside Structured Sober Living provides longboards to our residents. We use these to get to meetings, the beach and just for fun.
- What’s a life at the beach without a beach cruiser? Our home has multiple bikes with bike locks for the residents to use during the day.
Monthly movie night
- All residents will attend the movies once per month.
- Surfside residents will participate in an array of team building and family-oriented activities including: hiking, surfing, kayaking, stand up paddleboarding, snowshoeing, longboarding, fishing, cooking classes, grocery shopping classes, golf, yoga, community service, gym, group meetings and community service.
- All residents will participate in daily support groups in and out of the house.
- Each resident will be held accountable for their actions and life choices. Our system is based not only accountability to staff, but accountability to parents and peers. Our residents will learn responsibility through daily chores and skill-building activities.
- All residents will be required to take random drug tests. These tests will not be submitted to insurance, as they are included in rent.
- Each resident will have a gym membership. Click HERE to see the gym we use.
- Surfside Structured Sober living will provide weekly yoga, either in-house or at the local studio if there is interest from our residents..
Beach Pass (seasonal)
- Beach passes are required from June through September. Each resident will have a beach pass with full access.
Surf Lessons (seasonal)
- We believe that the surfing lifestyle is extremely conducive to recovery. Life’s challenges are like the change in tide and ocean break. All residents will get 2 surf lessons with the local professional surf school. Surfboards will be provided to residents from the house. Local surf lessons take place from May through October. Residents will also have access to surf lessons during camping trips in Florida and Cape Hatteras, NC.
- Once residents understand the basics of surfing they will be able to use the house surfboards and SUPs. Our surf season is from March through November with a few choice winter days!
Hiking/Snowshoe day trips
- Monthly hiking and/or snowshoe trips will be included in resident’s rent.
Monthly Camping trips (4-8 times a year)
- Surfside residents will participate in multiple overnight, multi-day and week-long camping trips. All equipment will be provided to the residents with no additional cost.
- All residents that graduate our program can come back to any house meeting and group as needed. Graduates will also have the opportunity to complete service work after their stay.
Potential Additional Costs
- The rent of the resident covers a cold breakfast (cereal and fruit), lunch, dinner and healthy snacks each day. Some young men have bigger appetites and we would encourage the family to provide financial assistance for this need. Surfside staff will monitor the money and help the resident budget it appropriately. The resident should not need more than $10 a week; this will be budgeted.
- Camping trips. Surfside Structured Sober Living will cover the cost of lodging, transportation, cold breakfast and hot dinner during trips.
- Kitesurfing lessons. The Director of Surfside Recovery Services is an avid Kitesurfer. Residents will have the opportunity to take kitesurfing lessons at a local kitesurfing school.
- 2 Surf lessons and unlimited SUP lessons are included in the cost. If residents desire additional surf lessons, this will be an additional expense.
- All required doctor appointments and addiction treatment services will be an additional cost (we will not cover the co-pay, etc.). We will help to find local providers that accept insurance. If residents do not have insurance we will help them to qualify for state insurance.